Joint Usage/Research Application
2023 Fiscal Year Joint Usage/Research Application Guide
1. Types of research topics
There are five types of joint research topics, and applicants can apply for plural themes. The research period is 1 year (April 1st, 2023 ~ March 31st, 2024).
（1) Priority Research Topic
Tokyo Polytechnic University (TPU) Wind Engineering Research Center (WERC) plans and suggests a priority research topic in each of the Wind-Resistant Construction field
and the Environmental Engineering field. This priority research, such as collaborations
between research centers, is promoted systematically. The budget of each priority
research topic will not exceed JPY 2,500,000 including travel expenses and costs for
research meetings. If you are considering applying for one of these research topics,
please consult a TPU/WERC member.
- Expansion of the aerodynamic database and Construction of a practitioner network (TPU/WERC member: Akihito Yoshida)
- Advanced use of airflow visualization technology in the construction and urban environment field (TPU/WERC member: Ryuichiro Yoshie)
（2) Specific research topic
Tokyo Polytechnic University (TPU) Wind Engineering Research Center (WERC) sets up
specific research topics in wind engineering and seeks applicants to work together with
TPU/WERC members. We will set up another New Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection control
specific theme in 2023. We are taking applications for New Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
control such as effectiveness of air cleaners and air conditioning filters, relation between
indoor/outdoor air flow and splash and aerosol, and New Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
control by natural ventilation.
If applicants want to use our facilities and data, they need to make arrangements with TPU/WERC members before applying.
Research workshops are required to present research results. In order to prevent the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) infections, we recommend that you conduct teleconferencing (JURC Office can support you. Please contact your collaborative TPU member.). The budget of any specific research topic will not exceed JPY 600,000 including travel expenses and costs for research meetings. However, when researchers who have made remarkable achievements are invited, additional costs will be considered separately.
- Wind resistant design / Wind hazard mitigation field
（TPU/WERC member: Masahiro Matsui*, Akihito Yoshida, Yong Chul Kim）
- Research on evaluations and mitigations of complex meteorological disasters caused by intensified severe typhoons, tornadoes and storms
- Research on load evaluation of structures utilizing the aerodynamic database
- Research on wind load and response evaluation of structures for development of wind load regulations and standards
- Indoor environment field
（TPU/WERC member: Yoshihide Yamamoto*, Yingli Xuan）
- Research on indoor air flow and thermal comfort using thermal manikin
- Research on building ventilation in urban areas
- Realization of a carbon-free society/Research on Indoor environment field that contributes to control of climate change
- Outdoor environment field
（TPU/WERC member: Ryuichiro Yoshie*, Yingli Xuan）
- Research on urban ventilation and pollutant/dangerous substances’ dispersion
- Research on wind environment and thermal environment in urban areas
- Realization of a carbon-free society/Research on Outdoor environment field that contributes to control of climate change
- Transdisciplinary･Cross-disciplinary field
（TPU/WERC member: All members）
This is transdisciplinary joint research undertaken by researchers from multiple fields related to wind engineering (transdisciplinary research theme), or cross-disciplinary joint research with some researchers not related to wind engineering. This research provides advantages for both research fields (cross-disciplinary research theme). For example, research themes that solve long term global environmental problems such as the problem of CO2 emissions and marine disposal of plastics. If you apply for a Transdisciplinary or Cross-disciplinary research theme, you need to describe the advantages for all areas for all participants.
- New Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection control specific theme
(TPU/WERC member: Yoshihide Yamamoto*, Ryuichiro Yoshie, Yingli Xuan)
*：person in charge of each field
（3)General research topic
Applicants set up their own research topics related to wind engineering and work together with TPU members. Please refer to specific research topics.
If you want to use facilities and data, you need to make arrangements with TPU members before applying.
Research workshops are required to present research results. In order to prevent the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection, we recommend that you conduct teleconferencing (JURC Office can support you. Please contact with your collaborative TPU member.).
The budget for the general research theme will not exceed JPY 400,000 including travel expenses and costs for research meetings. However, when researchers who have made remarkable achievements are invited, additional costs will be considered separately.
Applicants set up workshop topics and undertake them together with TPU members.
Research workshops need to be prepared with a precise aim. Please refer to specific
research topics. The budget of the research workshop will not exceed JPY 150,000
including travel expenses. However, when researchers who have made remarkable
achievements are invited, additional costs will be considered separately
（5)Fund prepared research
Applicants together with TPU members should prepare their own funding for a research separately. Applicants can use facilities and data but no budgets are provided for this type of research. Applicants need to make arrangements with TPU members before they apply. Research meetings are not necessarily held for this type of research.
2. Application procedure
Researchers from universities, research institutions, independent administrative agencies and companies can apply. However, researchers from private companies should have no commercial objectives and there should be no impediments to announcements of research results or ownership of intellectual property rights.
（2）How to fill in application formIn order to prevent the spread of the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection, your government will restrict domestic and international movement in next year. Please state how you will change your research plan if the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection spreads. Please talk with your collaborative TPU member in advance if you need his/her support.
（3）Submission and deadlins
Each application form for priority research, specific research, general research and research meeting must be filled out and sent as a Microsoft Word file via e-mail to the below address by the deadline. When an application is received a notification e-mail will be sent within 3 working days. If an applicant does not receive confirmation, he/she must contact the Wind Engineering Research Center Office.
Tokyo Polytechnic University Wind Engineering Research Center Office
- Application deadline: Feb. 28, 2023 *1)
- Announcement of selection results and budget confirmation: May, 2023 (TBD)
- Submission due date of collaborative researchers list, Letter of Commitment, permission from the top of the relevant organization:within one month after announcement of selection
- Submission due date of result report:End of April 2024
*1) No specific application period for Fund Prepared Co-researches
（4）Selection and announcement of successful candidates
Selection of successful applications will be based on an examination of the Wind Engineering Research Center Steering Committee constituted of TPU members and intellectuals from outside TPU. Notification of successful application will be sent to the representative researcher. Besides research contents, budget limit and availability of research facilities will also be considered for selection.
Research facilities, research topic, research contents, research period, etc., will need to be discussed thoroughly with TPU members.
Members of Tokyo Polytechnic University Wind Engineering Research Center (Faculties of Graduate School Engineering/Department of Architecture and Wind Engineering)
- Field of strong wind disaster prevention, wind resistant structure (TPU/WERC member: Masahiro Matsui*, Akihito Yoshida, Yong Chul Kim)
- Field of indoor environment（TPU/WERC member: Yoshihide Yamamoto*, Yingli Xuan）
- Field of outdoor environment（TPU/WERC member: Ryuichiro Yoshie*, Yingli Xuan）
* person in charge of each field
※For details see the Application Guide below.