Joint Usage / Research Application
2020 Fiscal Year Joint Usage / Research Application Guide
1. Types of research topic
There are four types of joint research topic and applicants can apply for plural themes. A period of research is 1 year (April 1st, 2020 ~ March 31st, 2021).
（1)Specific Research Topic
Tokyo Polytechnic University (TPU) Wind Engineering Research Center (WERC) sets up specific research topic in wind engineering and seeks applicants to work together with members of TPU. If applicants want to use our facilities and data, they need to make arrangements with TPU members before applying. Research workshops are required to present research results. The budget of any specific research topic will not exceed JPY 600,000 including travel expenses and costs for research meetings. However when researchers who have made remarkable achievements are invited, additional costs will be considered separately.
- Wind hazard mitigation and wind resistant design
（TPU/WERC member: Masahiro Matsui*, Akihito Yoshida, Yong Chul Kim）
- Evaluation and mitigation of wind related disasters due to intensified severe typhoons
- Risks and loads of tornadoes and other storms
- Researches on wind-resistant safety of facilities related to natural energy
- Researches on characteristics of wind forces acting on high-rise buildings
- Indoor environment
（TPU/WERC member: Kunio Mizutani*, Yoshihide Yamamoto）
- Researches on indoor air flow and thermal comfort by thermal manikin
- Researches on building ventilation in urban areas
- Researches on indoor airflow, thermal environment and energy issues
- Outdoor environment
（TPU/WERC member: Kunio Mizutani*, Xuan Yingli）
- Researches on urban ventilation and pollutant dispersion
- Researches on pedestrian-level wind environment in urban areas
- Researches on wind effects on outdoor thermal environment in urban areas
（All TPU members）
This is the transdisciplinary joint research that some researchers from the multiple fields related to wind engineering (Transdisciplinary research theme). Or cross-disciplinary joint research with some researchers who are not related to the wind engineering. This research provides the advantages for both research fields (Cross-disciplinary research theme). In the case of applying Transdisciplinary and Cross-disciplinary research theme, you need to describe the advantages for all area of all participant.
*：person in charge of each field
（2)General research topic
Applicants set up their own research topics related to wind engineering and work together with TPU members. Please refer to specific research topic.
If applicants want to use facilities and data, they need to make arrangements with TPU members before applying. Research workshops are required to present research results. Budget of general research theme will not exceed JPY 400,000 including travel expenses and costs for research meetings.
Applicants set up the workshop topic and hold together with TPU members.
Research workshops need to be prepared with a precise aim. Please refer to specific research topic. Budget of research workshop will not exceed JPY 150,000 including travel expenses.
（4)Fund prepared research
Applicants together with TPU members should prepare their own funding for a research separately. Applicants can use facilities and data but no budgets are provided for this type of research. Applicants need to make arrangements with TPU members before they apply. Research meetings are not necessarily held for this type of research.
2. Application procedure
Researchers from universities, research institutions, independent administrative agencies and companies can be applicants. However, researchers from private companies should have no commercial objectives and there should be no impediments to announcements of research results or ownership of intellectual property rights.
（2）How to fill in application form
（3）Submission and dead Lins
Each application form for specific research, general research and research meeting must be filled out and sent as a Microsoft Word file via e-mail to the below address by the deadline. When an application is received, a notification e-mail will be sent within 3 work days. If an applicant did not receive confirmation, he or she must contact the Wind Engineering Research Center Office.
Tokyo Polytechnic University Wind Engineering Research Center Office
- Application period: November 16, 2019 ~ January 31, 2020*1)
- Announcement of selection results and budget confirmation: March 31, 2020
- Submission due date of collaborative researchers list and Letter of Commitment: in two weeks after announcement of the selection
- Submission due date of permission from the top of the relevant organization: in one month after announcement of the selection
- Submission due date of financial report: End of February 2021
- Submission due date of result report: End of April 2021
*1) No specific application period for Fund Prepared Co-researches
（4）Selection and announcement of successful candidates
Selection of successful applications will be based on an examination of the Wind Engineering Research Center Steering Committee constituted of TPU members and intellectuals from outside TPU. Notification of successful application will be sent to the representative researcher. Besides research contents, budget limit and availability of research facilities will also be considered for the selection.
Research facilities, research topic, research contents, research period, etc., will need to be discussed thoroughly with TPU members.
Members of Tokyo Polytechnic University Wind Engineering Research Center (Faculties of Graduate School Engineering/Department of Architecture and Wind Engineering)
- Field of strong wind disaster prevention, wind resistant structure (TPU/WERC member: Masahiro Matsui*, Akihito Yoshida, Yong Chul Kim)
- Field of indoor environment（TPU/WERC member: Kunio Mizutani*, Yoshihide Yamamoto）
- Field of outdoor environment（TPU/WERC member: Kunio Mizutani*, Xuan Yingli）
*: person in charge of each field
※For the details see the Application Guide below.